NES

Author Topic: For Contributors - RTM Going Forward, Post Your Comments  (Read 674 times)

InsaneDavid

• Jessica's Knight / SOFEL Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • ClassicPlastic.net
For Contributors - RTM Going Forward, Post Your Comments
« on: March 13, 2014, 01:52:55 PM »
As RTM continues the transition to The Retro Junkies GameMags section, I thought a feedback / suggestions thread for users submitting articles should be in order.  I have yet to submit anything using the new console as it has been a crazy couple months for me, but having played around with the interface and read the March 2014 issue, I have some suggestions to better improve the application and make it more "hands off" for the administrators.

Suggestions:

1. Dissolve the RTM Yahoo! Group and bring those users over to The Retro Junkies forums.  Since the active magazine is no longer at retrogamingtimes.com and that URL is now acting as a (much appreciated) archive of the history of RTM and RT up until the changeover, the community should exist at The Retro Junkies and The Retro Junkies alone.  Yahoo! Groups have never been a very good hub of community discussion, even in their heyday, and I've always felt it splintered RTM for both readers and writers.  If The Retro Junkies is going to be the central location, then let's make it the only location for the current magazine and the community and reader / writer base that goes with it.

2. Bylines for RTM GameMags articles, including the writer with e-mail contact and date submitted.  When reading RTM issue 118 I noticed that there are no bylines anywhere that denote who wrote what.  A field should be added to the submission console that allows the uploader to enter their name as well as an e-mail contact that would appear beneath the title of each column.  The writer's name should also appear along side the article title on the index.  As some people would like to use a username and others their real names, the entry field for this information should be user entered and not program created.

3. Image hosting at The Retro Junkies for RTM columns.  It looks like this has been taken care of but I want to stress how important this is.  Sure, images can be hosted anywhere but for something like RT/RTM that has been running for so long, proper archival is important.  Issues full of broken image links in six months aren't good to anyone.

Anyone else have comments and/or suggestions for the RTM transition?

rob2586

• Administrator
  • Cowabunga!
    • View Profile
Re: For Contributors - RTM Going Forward, Post Your Comments
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 12:16:41 PM »
Hey there, David.  Those are some great suggestions.  Another thing that I think would really help is having someone over RTM--someone who can promote and expand the magazine.  I know Bryan's been busy, and with editing podcasts, working, and moving in the very near future, I can't do it, but would you know anyone who would be interested in promoting RTM?

I definitely plan to keep writing for the magzine moving forward, and I certainly want to see RTM thrive.   
Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.

SuperPimsky

• Administrator
  • Are you a bad enough dude to listen to 2 Dudes?
    • View Profile
    • 2 Dudes and a NES
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 02:33:34 PM »
We definitely need a RTM liaison. Any volunteers?
Check me out on 2 Dudes and a NES

http://nesdudes.com/

rob2586

• Administrator
  • Cowabunga!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:09:21 PM »
I'll try my best in the meantime! I talked to Derek Slaton and he's on board for contributing once again! I'm also talking to Ferg and William about possibly starting Atari and ColecoVision columns to compliment their podcasts! Anyone else interested in writing for the magazine? I think once we get some of the regulars back on board and some new writers contributing, RTM will pick up some steam again. I'm going to write an article for April, as well.

I'd also like to create a RTM Twitter account this weekend. RTM_Magazine is available. Does that work for you guys?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:11:54 PM by rob2586 »

InsaneDavid

• View Profile
    • ClassicPlastic.net
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 01:35:31 AM »
I definitely plan to keep writing for the magzine moving forward, and I certainly want to see RTM thrive.

That's the biggest thing here and why I made this thread.  For me it's all about getting RTM slotted in where it can easily be published issue after issue as part of The Retro Junkies community - and want to get the growing pains of the magazine worked out as soon as possible so we can concentrate on writing.

Speaking of which, like some of the older days, pick a game:

Battle City
Empire City 1931
Exerion
Warpman

...and I'll still probably pick the one I want, hehe.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 01:38:41 AM by InsaneDavid »

SuperPimsky

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 2 Dudes and a NES
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 08:43:31 AM »
I'd love to contribute again. I can do some NES stuff to go along with 2 Dudes. Or I can just do anything else.

rob2586

• Administrator
  • Cowabunga!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 09:52:42 AM »
Definitely, Michael! You write about anything retro you're passionate about!

rob2586

• Administrator
  • Cowabunga!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 12:05:36 PM »
Hey there, David. Sorry I'm just now seeing your list of games to choose from.  I'd love to read a review on Warpman.  I have to admit--I've not heard of that one. 

InsaneDavid

• View Profile
    • ClassicPlastic.net
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 06:16:00 PM »
Hey there, David. Sorry I'm just now seeing your list of games to choose from.  I'd love to read a review on Warpman.  I have to admit--I've not heard of that one.

No problem at all, I actually got too caught up in other projects to go after anything in March for April.  Warpman was what I was leaning toward, interestingly. :)  I have some free time next weekend so I plan on getting ahead of things.

rob2586

• Administrator
  • Cowabunga!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 11:01:54 AM »
Hey there, David!

I think Bryan is working on the image hosting.  Another thing we could do is include the author's name below the title and include a link to his or her email address or website.  Just an idea, though!

SuperPimsky

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 2 Dudes and a NES
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 12:01:16 PM »
I like that idea Rob! Especially since a lot of us have podcasts and what-not.