NES

Author Topic: Double Dragon (Nes)  (Read 217 times)

8Bit Baz

• Keeping it 8bit
    • View Profile
Double Dragon (Nes)
« on: August 06, 2014, 05:46:26 PM »
well i borrowed double dragon off my mate played it first time (finally i know), pretty sweet(feed) game i must say (I uploaded my score, though not very good), though i'm confused as a drunk giraffe about the moves, i was doing some sweet grab and knees to the face but no idea how, and i had some sweet(feed) flying kicks going on, but i died and i cant do the flying kick move anymore, and the two fat dudes i was fighting were ducking my flying kicks, is there a way to duck in this game, as other enemies seemed to be doing it too???
Have you ever peered towards the heavens and seen a beautiful blue sky, when suddenly a low cloud traverses past a higher cloud and thought, check out that fantastic parallax scrolling?

ThisGuy

• View Profile
Re: Double Dragon (Nes)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 09:47:59 PM »
This is on the short list of games I'm actually good at. Beat em ups and sports games were my speciality as a kid. In DD the enemies can duck, but alas, we cannot. Also, you have to build up your move set as you go. Did you see the lower left corner where you build up point on a scale of zero to 1000? Every time you roll this over you get another heart and it adds to your list of moves. Punches give you 20 points per and kicks give you 30. The quickest way to move up is to punch guys out because that take more hits. Jump kick are 15 points and hitting a guy with a weapon is 30. The move set goes like this

1 heart = how you start the game... no move associated with it.
2 hearts = upper cut (game adds it into your punches)
3 hearts = jump kick (a+b does this)
4 hearts = hair pull (hit b to use this and press a + backwards to throw enemies)
5 hearts = sit on guy and punch them (must be weakened and down. Press down and hit the punch button)
6 hearts = elbow (back + a when enemy is standing behind you) never used this much so the buttons may be incorrect
7 hearts = spin kick (pretty sure this works like a jump kick, but I could never throw it consistently)

The big guy is named Abobo, and you jump kick him to death. When he ducks just quickly throw another at him jumping back and forth. It takes timing and a little practice, but you will get there. I could never beat the dude with a machine gun... second to last guy. If anyone can expand on this, I'd like to learn a bit too.
Who's got two thumbs and loves retro games?? This Guy!!!

8Bit Baz

• Keeping it 8bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 04:00:17 AM »
ooooooh thats what the hearts mean, see I had this same problem with Castlevaina, A game i never had as a kid so no manual, but i was always baffled by what the hearts you collect actually do! And I saw the hearts growing in double dragon down the bottom but i had no idea what they were for, all i knew was they wernt regenerating my health lol, why make it a heart???

right, ok i'll have another go at this sometime this week then, hopefully know i now the move set and scoring system I may do a little better!!

hmm the spin kick sounds pretty sweet, Yeah I knew Abobo from battletoads & double dragon, he is the first boss you fight (and the 3rd boss has a machine gun, possibly same guy you get stuck on in Double Dragon) but i used to do running jump kicks in that to beat Abobo, but with double dragon you double tap forward to run and i seem to do a headbutt lol but i cant land the thing on anyone.
Have you ever peered towards the heavens and seen a beautiful blue sky, when suddenly a low cloud traverses past a higher cloud and thought, check out that fantastic parallax scrolling?

ThisGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 08:32:55 PM »
The headbutt isn't very effective in this one. I know a lot of people who were good at double dragon, but none of us could beat Machine gun willy... 3 or 4 hits and you could lose a life even if your health was full... I had him beat on a few occasions but he'd get me at the last second...
Who's got two thumbs and loves retro games?? This Guy!!!